Fun and friends in the Big Apple: getting started

I've just returned from a long weekend with a friend/member of my church to New York City. I have been to New York a couple of times before, but, as always, the city offered new joys and challenges to me.

Our trip got off to a little bit of a slow start with our flight out of Charleston being canceled. We had planned to get into NYC in time to see a Broadway show, but it was not meant to be. We were so blessed to get to stay in an old friend's apartment while she was out of town and by the time we got there, we were happy to rest and re-group for our adventure.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love a plan. I like to be in charge. I like to study the map and know where I'm going - in the city and in life. But, from the moment we got to the airport in Charleston, I had to remind myself of the importance of flexibility.

While we were able to stick to "my plan" most of the time," there were moments when we had to give be open to another plan, or "Another's" plan. But, because I had such a great traveling partner, we were able to make the most of it. A good plan to start, plus a good amount of flexibility, allowed us to have a wonderful and memorable weekend.


We started at Ground Zero. It is hard to believe that what looks like an ordinary construction zone holds such emotion for so many. Although I had seen it before, it remains a moving experience. This time, we visited St. Paul's Chapel, a nearby church where so many first-responders and aid workers were cared for, fed, and shown appreciation. What a moving experiencing to be in a place where people so many people exerpienced the love of God in a tangible way: a good meal, a listening ear, even the touch of a professional massage therapist. People from all over the country sent their encouraging words to the folks working at St. Paul's.


The rest of the morning we spent doing something much lighter: shopping and eating in Chinatown. We bought designer knockoff jewelry and purse and at authentic Chinese dumplings at a great restaurant which had been recommended by a friend.

The afternoon brought us to see Phantom of the Opera, the show my friend was dying to see. Although we were in the nose-bleed section, the talented actors and crew brought us right into the experience. It was a magical afternoon, being pulled into the dramatic events of the opera house.

The day came to an end with a great meal in a fun diner where we could relax, share our woes of aching feet, and get ready for another exciting day ahead.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am still singing "The Music of the Night" in my head! These pictures look great. I had so much fun...thought you were a great travel partner too! where to next?:)

Rev. Rex Espiritu said...

Still remember our (my 1st) time together as new/EFS pastors group visiting at Ground Zero... Took my 2nd daughter to see Phantom on its 20th anniv. for her pre-16th birthday spring break traditional Dad & daughter getaway to see her 1st show on Broadway in April. I had the pleasure of introducing her to and getting the autograph of the orchestra conductor whom I knew from my college days at Columbia. Thrilling performances! We so thoroughly enjoyed NYC together. Thanks for sharing in remembrances.