An esteemed senator, a govenor, and me?

Sounds like an unusual crowd, right? It did to me to.
A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to try something new. I have found that keeping an open mind and trying new things as opportunities present themselves has made my life a little richer and has given me a few good stories to tell.

When I was asked to give the opening invocation and closing blessing as a local ribbon cutting ceremony for the opening of a new highway, I was flattererd. I was also a little unsure of what my response should be.

The people planning this event wanted to have a local pastor to be part of the event. And, after what I can only assume was the rejection by all the other area pastors, they called me. The road opening was a significant event for this community, creating a safer way for people to travel through our region. Several VIPs were going to be there, including Sen. Robert Byrd and Gov. Joe Manchin, as well as some executives from the different highway departments. But the question that I was wrestling with while trying to decide whether or not to accept their request was, what business did I have being there?

I was not doubting my own personal significance in the company of these distinguished people, but questioning the significance of having a pastor there at all. What role does a spiritual leader have at a civic event like this? Why include an invocation and blessing at all? Would it not have been enough to recognize the hard work that had been done by all who had given so much to this project?

Many people who know me, know that I have touted some pretty strong beliefs about the separation of church and state. And so, my first reaction was to pass on this opportunity because of these beliefs. I began to pray about this and seek the Lord's direction. Soon, one of the people that I admire most, Donald Miller, came to mind.

Don Miller, author of Blue Like Jazz, and many other great books, recently gave the benediction at the Democratic National Convention. In his benediction, which you can watch on YouTube (and I highly recommend doing so), he took the opportunity to speak words of truth into those in power and to those who listen and respect those in power.

This got me thinking. What could I say in a brief invocation and blessing that might speak to the people who would be gathered at a ribbon cutting ceremony for a road opening? Recognizing that the number of people in power would be few and the people attending the opening would be more interested in getting a picture of the iconic Sen. Byrd than listening to what some preacher-lady might have to say, I asked Lord for direction.

In the end, my words were few, but I hope that they conveyed some meaning. My prayer was one of thanks to God for his hand at work in the construction of this road, from the beginning designs to the lines painted on the pavement. I tried to convey that each person's role was important. Each person, each job, was needed. And although it may be small, each one is needed to make this new, safe road possible. As strange as it seems, I did sense God's presence there. I truly believe that he had been at work in this process of building a new road.

It was a good reminder to me, that God is working in all areas of life. He's working in our churches, our schools, our law practices, our supermarkets, our soccer fields, and even in our road constructions.
How is he working in your life?
(Pictures: Left:friend Kim with daughters Madison and Morgan with Gov. Joe Manchin; Far right: Mom, Kim, Madison, Morgan, and Gov. Joe Manchin; Below: Me, Dad, and Mom)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I know your words were poignant and inspired! Looks like a pretty good day to me. Good for you, using this opportunity to put God out there.
Have your read Don's blog lately? Did you know he was just across the river in Ohio recently? Why didn't we go stalk-er-I mean see him? I found out too late.
Still processing the meeting tonight. Still praying.

Van said...

Brining God's presence into any gathering of people is never an act in vain. People need the Lord. Thanks for representing the Christian community.