The City of Angels


In a couple of days I'm heading to Los Angeles. Yay! I moved here to West Virginia five years ago from LA and it's been a few years since I've been back to visit. I'm excited to go back for a great conference (http://www.presbyterianglobalfellowship.org/) and to see a few friends and family members.


What makes me so excited to visit this crowded, polluted, image-obsessed, mudslide-prone, and earthquake-happy city? Why should I be so excited about going back? When I visit Houston to see my family and friends, I look forward to going home, to being in the place where I grew up, where I went to church and school. There's nothing like going home.


But, LA is a different It's like seeing your best friend. She was the friend who saw me through four years. She saw me through my first earthquake, brain-draining theology classes, making new friends, dating dramas, call-questioning moments, happy hours, and about a million cups of coffee.


Like an old friend that you haven't seen in a while, I'm looking forward to seeing how she's grown and changed, and thanking God that certain things will never change.


Hopefully, over the next few days, I'll be adding some more thoughts about my old friend.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I will miss you, my friend! Especially tomorrow afternoon when I am alone with a mob of tweens...
Hope you have a great time. Sending traveling mercies your way.

Rev. Rex Espiritu said...

PGF at LGB in L.A. was a good time for me, too, to reconnect, renew friendships and pray with a few colleagues in ministry who were among my prayer partners back from seminary. We enjoyed experiencing praise & worship times together during the conference. Also appreciated getting to visit with my cousin's family for a few days in Palm Springs. It was good to see you there with and meet your friend in between workshops/seminars. You were both in your element, it seemed, in the environs of SoCal. :-) Grateful for times of refreshing in the Lord. Good times with good friends in good places.